28 November, 2010

The Yule Tree

Bringing Nature inside our homes during the winter months reminds us that although the outer world is bleary and sleeping, our Mother is still alive underneath.  There is no bigger representation of the rebirth of light during the Winter Solstice than the Yule Tree.  It is the time of year when we say good-bye to the Holly King and welcome the birth of the Oak King again. 

Every year, on the day after Thanksgiving, my family drags the holiday decorations out of the attic and starts putting them up.  However, for the past few years, the task of putting up our three trees (Christmas trees to them, Yule Tree to me), has fallen on my shoulders.  I'm not sure why it's happened but it seems like I'm the only one that gets giddy with the merry feelings of the season.  I'd like to share with you some of items from my Grimore that I do during Yule besides putting up three trees.

Yule Ideas
  • Keep a bowl of warm water with cranberries and orange zest on your hearth.  
  • Keep Holly for the Goddess and Mistletoe for the God on your altar
  • Meditate starting on the first of December, picturing the light coming back into our lives.  Using incense scented with bayberry, frankincense, myrrh or cinnamon always helps me focus.
  • Share stories/myths about the Solstice with family and/or friends.
  • Decorate your home with loved ones - don't be like me, doing it alone.
I'll post more Yule items throughout the month.  I was thinking of doing a monthly series on it.  What do you think?  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Posting Yule items throughout the month would be a great idea. Look forward to reading.

Changing Girl said...

Ditto. Gathering ideas throughout the month will be like lil' Yule treasures.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

"our three trees (Christmas trees to them, Yule Tree to me)"

I love it that you and your family, can so seamlessly follow your own paths.

Oh and I look forward to any/all you wish to post, about this lovely season!

Anonymous said...

That would be a great idea! Being new to all this (with a christian background), I would love see more. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous Yule tree! Yes, reading Yule ideas would be fun.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected